Didgeridoo Performance Wows

Comet Bay College students enjoyed a taste of Aboriginal culture this week when Elder John Mak, aka Kookaburra Man, delivered a special recess didgeridoo performance.
The performance was arranged by the College’s new Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer Karl Juhnke, who shares a Koori background with John (both hailing from NSW).
“My mob are Biripi (sandpaper fig) on the mid north coast of NSW, although I was brought up in Awabakal Country. Awabakal was name of Lake Macquarie meaning ‘a flat surface’,” Mr Juhnke said.
“I love the bush and have a hut on a mate’s farm, and love the water and have several sailing boats I have restored. Coming from NSW means I love Rugby League – especially The Koori Cup.
“My main goals are for increased local reconciliation and harmony derived from mutual respect and understandings and an increase in Indigenous prosperity through education. I am particularly interested in everybody respecting the Traditional Land and Sea where we all live and play. As a Koori, I want and need to garner the help from the local community (both Indigenous and non-Indigenous) to achieve these aims.”
Mr Juhnke works at Comet Bay College every Monday and Tuesday.