Basketball Star Has Magic Touch

Year 9 student Kate Newson played her first State Basketball League game for Mandurah Magic on the weekend – at the tender age of 14!
The 186cm student is one of the youngest in the squad, playing against some women more than twice her age.
The call up to the league was exciting for Kate, who dreams of an international basketball scholarship.
“I’ve been playing basketball for as long as I can remember,” she said.
“It gives me a different space from school, different friends and an outside interest. And I like working in a team – we have great energy.”
The Magic were unable to beat ladder toppers Joondalup Wolves last weekend, but Kate said she was happy with her SBL debut performance.
“I did my job out there and the coach was happy,” she said.
“I held my ground against 28-year-olds who stand over six-foot tall and that made be pretty proud.”
Kate follows in the footsteps of her father and big brother, Tom, who have both shone on the court.
Tom, who is a Year 11 student at Comet Bay College, won a SBL scholarship with Mandurah Magic last year and is travelling to Geraldton this weekend to compete in the 2020 West Coast Classic Competition.