Purpose of the Board
The Comet Bay College School Board is formed with the fundamental purpose of enabling parents and members of the community to engage in activities that are in the best interests of the students and will enhance the education of the College.
The elected members include parents, staff and students in secondary settings. Members of the community may be invited to join. The Principal of the school is a member.
The Comet Bay College Board
Takes part in:
- establishing and reviewing from time to time, the school’s objectives, priorities and general policy directions;
- planning financial arrangements necessary to fund those objectives, priorities and directions;
- evaluating the school’s performance in achieving those objectives, priorities and directions; and
- formulating codes of conduct for students at the school.
- the selection of, but not the appointment of, the School Principal or any other member of the teaching staff if prior approval is given by the Regional Executive Director.
- a charge or contribution determined by the Principal for the provision of materials, services and facilities;
- the costs determined by the Principal to be paid for participation in an extra cost optional component of the school’s educational program;
- the items determined by the Principal to be supplied by a student for the student’s personal use in the school’s educational program; and
- an agreement or arrangement for advertising or sponsorship in relation to a government school.
Role of Board members
- Parent members of the Board bring their experience as parents at the school, and the views and context of the wider school community.
- Community members may bring expertise such as business or accounting skills that the Board is looking for at that time.
- Department of Education employees bring their educational expertise.
 Section 128(a)(i) of the School Education Act 1999
 Including endorsing and reviewing the school’s annual budget (the budget summarises the income received annually from the Department of Education and other sources; it also lists planned expenditure, including salaries). Budget is under section 5.1.4 of the Department of Education’s Financial Management in Schools Finance and Accounting policy. Planning financial arrangements is section 128(a)(ii) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 128(a)(iii) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 128(c) of the School Education Act 1999
 Participation in selection processes by a representative of the Council is restricted to positions determined through local selection and will not include vacancies filled through the central transfer or placement process or the redeployment process regulated by the Public Sector Management (Redeployment and Redundancy) Regulations 1994. Section 129(2) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 99(4) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 100(3) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 108(2) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 216(5) of the School Education Act 1999