Purpose of the Board
The Comet Bay College School Board is formed with the fundamental purpose of enabling parents and members of the community to engage in activities that are in the best interests of the students and will enhance the education of the College.
The elected members include parents, staff and students in secondary settings. Members of the community may be invited to join. The Principal of the school is a member.
The Comet Bay College Board
Takes part in:
- establishing and reviewing from time to time, the school’s objectives, priorities and general policy directions;
- planning financial arrangements necessary to fund those objectives, priorities and directions;
- evaluating the school’s performance in achieving those objectives, priorities and directions; and
- formulating codes of conduct for students at the school.
- the selection of, but not the appointment of, the School Principal or any other member of the teaching staff if prior approval is given by the Regional Executive Director.
- a charge or contribution determined by the Principal for the provision of materials, services and facilities;
- the costs determined by the Principal to be paid for participation in an extra cost optional component of the school’s educational program;
- the items determined by the Principal to be supplied by a student for the student’s personal use in the school’s educational program; and
- an agreement or arrangement for advertising or sponsorship in relation to a government school.
Role of Board members
- Parent members of the Board bring their experience as parents at the school, and the views and context of the wider school community.
- Community members may bring expertise such as business or accounting skills that the Board is looking for at that time.
- Department of Education employees bring their educational expertise.
 Section 128(a)(i) of the School Education Act 1999
 Including endorsing and reviewing the school’s annual budget (the budget summarises the income received annually from the Department of Education and other sources; it also lists planned expenditure, including salaries). Budget is under section 5.1.4 of the Department of Education’s Financial Management in Schools Finance and Accounting policy. Planning financial arrangements is section 128(a)(ii) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 128(a)(iii) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 128(c) of the School Education Act 1999
 Participation in selection processes by a representative of the Council is restricted to positions determined through local selection and will not include vacancies filled through the central transfer or placement process or the redeployment process regulated by the Public Sector Management (Redeployment and Redundancy) Regulations 1994. Section 129(2) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 99(4) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 100(3) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 108(2) of the School Education Act 1999
 Section 216(5) of the School Education Act 1999
COLLEGE BOARD – COMMUNITY MEMBERSHIP NOMINATIONS OPEN
Closing date: Monday 22 February 2021 (4.00pm)
The Comet Bay College Board would like to announce that we are seeking nominations in the category of Community membership (General community, business/industry).
A Community member is a member who DOES NOT have any children attending this school.
Any member of the community considered to have suitable qualifications or experience is eligible to be placed on the list of nominees for the community category of membership.
Community members have contemporary expertise required by the board. Examples of contemporary expertise include;
- current employment with an employer working in partnership with the school, or
- business skills that are required at the time.
The College Board holds a minimum of 4 meetings per year on a Wednesday 4.30pm – 5.30pm and membership is for a tenure of 3 years.
For more information, please refer to the College Board Terms of Reference here: https://cometbaycollege.wa.edu.au/about-us/college-board/
Further information is available on the Department of Education site here: https://www.education.wa.edu.au/school-councils-boards
NOMINATING FOR COMMUNITY MEMBERSHIP
If you would like support the College Board in the category of community member, please nominate yourself by responding to the questions below and email to:
- Please detail why you would like to be a member of the College Board.
- Please provide details of your employment along with any organisations or committees you are involved in, and what experience you have that can support and add value to the College Board.
- The nomination process closes on Monday 22 February 2021 at 4.00pm.
- There will not be an election to appoint community member/s. The board may appoint suitably qualified persons from the list of nominees by vote in a meeting and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Suitable applicants are required to complete a Criminal History Screening prior to appointment.
- March 2021
- February 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015