Supporting Our Mentors

Brianna Player always knew she wanted a career helping others. From a young girl, she had seen first hand the overwhelming benefit of support for people living with disabilities – her older sister Jess has a range of physical and intellectual handicaps.
So it was no surprise when she started her Bachelor Degree in Youth Work. A major in Addiction Studies has also helped her understand more about the temptations today’s youth must navigate.
Brianna joined the Comet Bay College family in 2019 and is our energetic Youth Development Officer, overseeing several programs across the College, including the Student Leadership Team, Year 12 Peer Mentoring Program, Breakfast Club and Gardening Program.
She also works closely with small groups of students who have been identified as needing extra support.
Brianna described working with young, motivated teens as “inspiring”.
“My Year 12 Mentors are a diverse and dynamic group of kids who all bring something different to the table,” she said.
“They are enthusiastic youth who are willing to give up their recess and lunch breaks to help others and it’s been really wonderful to watch them grow and mature.
“I knew I wanted a career helping others, and working with young people has been a dream.
“I spend a lot of time with the senior school students, and one of the best parts of my job is watching them mentor the College’s younger peers through their work in the Year 7 classrooms. I love that I play a role in the chain of young people helping other young people.”