From Student Captain to Dance Teacher

Aspen Gittins knows the halls of Comet Bay College well. She first explored the campus as a Year 10 student back in 2012. It was where she laughed with friends, continued to develop her love of dancing and started dating her husband, Mason, later both representing the College as our Student Captains in their graduation year in 2014.
These days, it’s where she works – Mrs Gittins returned to the College last year as our dance and cheer teacher.
She said coming back and working alongside her former teachers was a surreal experience.
“Before I started working at Comet Bay College, I spent two years teaching Year 2 at Aubin Grove Primary School,” she said. “Transitioning to secondary school teaching was very different, but it has been good. Coming back to Comet Bay College was an advantage because I wasn’t completely lost and having a few people you know is also good.”
Mrs Gittins has been dancing since she was two years old and became a student teacher at a young age. Some of her students remember her as their dance instructor back when they were only tots.
Her mum also owned a dance shop, and she said her deep involvement in the dance community benefited her teaching.
“I wanted to provide authentic opportunities for my students – dance classes that were a reflection of the real industry,” she said. “And I want to deliver something that complements what the students are doing outside of school.
“I’m always keen to ensure they get opportunities to see and be involved in several different performances. Last year I took the kids to the WA Ballet and saw one of my friends on stage. He later came over and spoke to the students about his career, so having that connection gave them a greater experience.”
Mrs Gittins is expecting her first baby but will continue teaching until the end of Term 2 when she goes on maternity leave. Congratulations!